Our churches

St David’s – Mossman

St David was a Bishop in Wales in the 6th century.  When David rose to speak at a synod the ground where he stood rose up to form a mound and a white dove descended to perch upon his shoulder.

 The little historic stone church of St David’s in Mossman began to be built in 1912 after a severe cyclone swept through the area and demolished the little wooden church.

After many delays and lots of frustration, two world wars and one global economic depression it was completed in 1952 when the Bishop of Carpentaria, Bishop John Hudson had the duty of dedicating the wonderful little church.

As well as being a place of worship for generations of local families it has become a tourist icon, is a feature on local postcards and is visited by people from all over the world.

St. David's Church has exceptionally good acoustics, so Encore Concerts are regularly held here.  The standard of performers and appreciation of concert goers gives God great glory.

St. David's Day is celebrated on 1st March with a combined Eucharist, followed by brunch (Welsh dishes) and Welsh trivia.

In 2008 St David's was added to the National Trust of Queensland's Register of Significant Places.

A pamphlet, available in the church, gives information about many of the items in the church and the grounds. This pamphlet can also be downloaded by clicking here.


 St Andrew’s – Port Douglas

The brother of Simon Peter.  Originally a fisherman, seen by Jesus working by the Sea of Galilee, who became one of the twelve apostles. Crucified on an X-shaped cross in Achaia (modern day Greece.)

Despite the lack of a full time Rector until 1898, the people of the district were active in the growth of the church.  The major project most of the isolated communities embarked upon was the building of a church.  In Port Douglas a large wooden church was constructed that was dedicated to St Andrew by the Sea.  Presumably, in recognition of the fact that Port Douglas owed its livelihood to being the sea-port for both the local district and mining centres over the range, this it was named after a fisherman – the apostle Andrew.

Up until the 1960’s, the simple wooden church still played a prominent role in the life of the parish for it was the place of worship for a small but diligent group of parishioners who kept the church in a good state of repair.  Once the stone church at Mossman was completed the centre of the parish moved completely to Mossman.

In 1954, the rectory and its land at Port Douglas was sold, thus solving the problem of how to keep up the maintenance of two rectories within the same parish.  Finally the church of St Andrew itself was demolished in August, 1978, due to the extensive white ant infestation and general deterioration of the building.

On two acres, donated by Mr John Morris, near where the Port Douglas Primary School was planned, a new church complex was built to provide a ministry centre for the rapidly growing tourist area that Port Douglas was becoming.

Palm Sunday March 19, 1989 was a special day in the history of the Christian community in Port Douglas and the Diocese of Carpentaria.  For it was on this day Bishop Anthony Hall-Matthews, the eighth Bishop of Carpentaria consecrated the worship centre of St Andrew’s Port Douglas.  On that memorable day the building, designed by Mr Rodger Mainwood, was completed free of debt and the keys handed over by the builder.

This was possible due to the support of the Mossman Parish; the commitment, encouragement and foresight of Fr Malcolm Babbage.  The donation of the land, the financial assistance of the community at large including Swan Hill parish in Victoria all contributed to supporting the resident priest Rev’d John Martin following his Appointment in May 1986.

As a result of the appeal, furniture and fittings were purchased.  Such furnishings as the Bishop’s chair, the beautiful altar cloth, hand crocheted by Mrs Joan Vico, the vestments and the figured Queensland maple for the alter, lectern and credence table have all been donated.

An outdoor chapel has been newly built by Rob and Julie White which will serve as a complementary place of worship. 

St. Andrew's Day, November 30th, where Scottish food (Haggis and all), is enjoyed by those who attend the Evening Eucharist and Scottish carry on.  We enjoy each others company especially when both congregations are worshipping together.














St Mary Magdalene, Mt Molloy

A simple wooden church was built at Mt Molloy to serve the needs of a bustling mining town.  This first church was dedicated to St Mary Magdalene in 1906.

The original church at Mt. Molloy was destroyed by the 1911 cyclone to such an extent that the remains of the church were valued at £5.  The Diocesan control of Mt Molloy was shared between the Dioceses of Carpentaria and North Queensland .

It was the Bishop of North Queensland, the Right Reverend John Feetham who dedicated the present church in 1941, although the Parish of Mossman and also Carpentaria diocese resumed responsibility of the church in 1932.

In 1984, a small but enthusiastic group of ladies began raising money for several improvements to the building.  Electrical rewiring, installation of a ceiling and ceiling fans and the cladding of the exterior meant the Church was a truly fitting place of worship as it passed its 50th birthday in 1991.